[GWSG] Growing distress; power to CA; saving $12tn; news that matters; CH4 from wetlands; make nice w/China

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Sep 16 09:42:39 EDT 2022

1. United in Science reports that we have not moved fast enough on the 1.5C target and must act under worsening conditions. Some countries are already in stress—Pakistan, China, and East Africa stand out, but it is hard to find an untouched region. We must meet our commitments to help the less fortunate and hasten to accomplish the energy transition, even as we head into an “uncharted territory of destruction.” “The United in Science report was coordinated by the World Meteorological Organization, and involves the UN Environment Programme, the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, the World Climate Research Programme, the Global Carbon Project, the UK’s Met Office and the Urban Climate Change Research Network.” https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/13/world-heading-into-uncharted-territory-of-destruction-says-climate-report

2. California kept the power on through their recent heatwave thanks to grid-level batteries, solar power, and cell phones. The cell phones’ role was to convey a message to citizens to conserve power to avoid black-outs. They did, and they did. https://climatecrocks.com/2022/09/14/solar-batteries-and-cell-phones-helped-california-weather-crisis/

3. An Oxford U study found that the transition to renewable energy will not be costly. Solar and wind power costs have been dropping about 10% a year, so that the transition is now expected to save as much as $12tn. “The faster we go, the more we will save.” (Another story on the study clarified that the savings figure is global, and based on a transition to renewables by 2050.)  https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62892013

4.  A Yale U study shows that the previous news item is likely to have more impact on climate opinion than a story about renewable energy’s benefits for the economy and jobs, or about renewable energy as a remedy for the climate crisis. https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/the-durable-bipartisan-effects-of-emphasizing-the-cost-savings-of-renewable-energy/

5. Measurement of methane emissions from African tropical wetlands found levels almost ten times higher than expected. Wetlands are expected to increase in some areas because of the increased rainfall, as the heating atmosphere carries more water vapor. A positive feedback may be established. We may need to reduce human-caused emissions more than we had thought. https://phys.org/news/2022-09-tropical-wetlands-emit-methane-previously.html

6. To decouple our development of renewable energy from China has generally been taken to improve our industrial health and to serve better the needs of our own country. However, the increased cost of doing all our own research and development can raise the cost of energy sources, hampering implementation and harming employment, and a diversified supply chain is more resilient than one more limited in scope. https://techxplore.com/news/2022-09-decoupling-china-tech-reward.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter