[GWSG] SST high; agrivoltaics; canopied lots; EPA electrifying; as it must; net zero: use and misuse

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Apr 11 09:52:43 EDT 2023

1. Temperatures at the ocean surface are at record highs and headed higher. Over 90% of the added heat comes from our use of fossil fuels. The results will be widespread destruction of marine life and weather extremes, including earlier and stronger storms. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/08/headed-off-the-charts-worlds-ocean-surface-temperature-hits-record-high

2. Agrivoltaics may sound like a trivial idea—grow plants on roofs in the shade of a solar array. But if you have a large roof (typically, for a big commercial building) the plants will provide cooling and that cooling, while it is saving you a/c money, will boost the output of your solar array by around 13%. You can also get food. The crops range from lettuce to citrus fruits. https://cleantechnica.com/2023/04/07/more-bad-news-for-fossil-fuels-rooftop-solar-meets-agrivoltaics/

3. Why shouldn’t large parking lots be required to have solar canopies and charging stations? https://electrek.co/2023/04/07/solar-new-parking-lots-buildings/

4. The EPA is set to announce new emissions requirements which would require as many as 2/3 of the cars sold by US manufacturers to be electric by 2032. That would, among other things, entail even more than the 500,000 new charging stations now planned. (More efficient batteries with longer ranges would require fewer stations, though, and those should be on the way soon.) Electric cars take far fewer workers to make and maintain them, and they are expected to last much longer; employing the displaced workers will be a major concern, and a major factor in the new sustainable economy.  https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/08/epa-reportedly-planning-to-announce-significant-limits-on-tailpipe-emissions.html

5. Further figures, perspectives, and speculation from Elektrek on the expected EPA EV rules. “The IEA says that all new passenger car sales need to be electric, globally, by 2035, if we’re to avoid the worst effects of climate change. So there’s really no question over whether we should do this, or whether we can. We have to, so we better figure out a way to do it, because this is not something we have a choice over.” https://electrek.co/2023/04/09/new-epa-rules-will-upend-industry-as-automakers-ev-plans-are-too-low/

6. Net zero pledges have too often masked fraudulent programs, yet the pledges have also been tied to legitimate mitigation efforts. “Real zero” pledges can cut through the ambiguity. Still, difficult corners of the economy will need to make legitimate use of emissions offsets in net zero programs.   https://grist.org/protest/inside-climate-activists-uneasy-relationship-with-net-zero/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily