[GWSG] Lower ocean circulation; 8 artists & a healing world; Roman concete rules; edited wheat; H2O to H by solar

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sun Jan 8 14:30:51 EST 2023

1. Increasing global heat will mean diminishing oceanic circulation. One result will be a declining absorption of CO2 by the oceans and a further buildup in the atmosphere. (There are many further disastrous effects of failing circulation not addressed in the study.) https://phys.org/news/2023-01-climate-disaster-world-oceans-scientists.html

2. Eight artists imagine a healing world. They are a diverse group of talented people. https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023/01/8-artists-who-are-grappling-with-climate-change-and-imagining-a-better-world/?utm_source=Weekly+News+from+Yale+Climate+Connections&utm_campaign=75f13fe28d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_01_05_09_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-75f13fe28d-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D

3. Concrete made in the recently rediscovered Roman style is not only much more durable, it sequesters carbon. Because it lasts longer we will save emissions because we will need to make less concrete, and what we do make will better earn its keep by absorbing carbon. https://techxplore.com/news/2023-01-riddle-roman-concrete-durable.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

4. Genetic editing has produced new varieties of wheat which promise to withstand the changing climate better by allowing plants to acquire the defenses of ancestral strains against heat, salt, and disease.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/07/holy-grail-wheat-gene-discovery-could-feed-our-overheated-world

5. A team at the U of Michigan has developed a solar panel which produces hydrogen from water at 10 times the previous efficiency, bringing the cost down substantially. H is used as a fuel and as a component of sustainable fuels and fertilizers. https://climatecrocks.com/2023/01/08/major-leap-lowers-cost-of-green-hydrogen/