[GWSG] Historical climate; block the sun?; giant H plant; ChatGPT's advice; fossils kill; 41% C free in US

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Mar 2 09:56:25 EST 2023

1. Climate has played a role in human history which we are just beginning to explore. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/27/the-big-idea-why-you-cant-leave-climate-out-of-history

2. A letter signed by over 60 scientists, including James Hansen, urges consideration of protecting the earth against some solar radiation, perhaps by spraying aerosols. We have failed to act in time to control sufficiently our burning of fossil fuels and face the growing possibility of  catastrophic heat. Some, however, fear that geoengineering will only encourage delay in controlling emissions.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/01/sun-rays-cool-overheating-earth-james-hansen-scientists-letter

3. The Climate News Network does not seem aware that H2 is an indirect greenhouse gas. At least, they do not report it as an issue in their story on the first commercial-scale green hydrogen facility in North America.  The plant in Nova Scotia will be powered by wind and will produce 200,000 tonnes of hydrogen a year for export to the EU. https://www.theenergymix.com/2023/03/01/trailblazing-green-hydrogen-plant-could-cannibalize-green-power-from-nova-scotia-grid/?utm_source=The+Energy+Mix&utm_campaign=0c06e3fc6e-TEM_RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dc146fb5ca-0c06e3fc6e-510008578

4. ChatGPT has some sage advice on engaging climate skeptics in a useful dialogue. https://climatecrocks.com/2023/03/01/ask-the-ai-on-climate-denial/  It has obviously been talking with Katharine Hayhoe, Naomi Oreskes, and the entire staff of the Yale Program on Climate Communication.

5. Fossil fuels have many ways to kill. About 9m people a year die from breathing the particulates alone; the exhaust from our cars will go on killing with extra heat for 10,000 years. Activism can highlight the fact of emergency. Meanwhile, the fossil fuel industry spins out tales of the destructiveness of renewables.  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/28/fossil-fuels-kill-more-people-than-covid-why-are-we-so-blind-to-the-harms-of-oil-and-gas

6. In 2022, 41% of US energy was produced carbon-free. 23% of it was from renewable sources, which have produced the growth. Also, 7.1% of new car sales was electric vehicles. The energy transition is well underway, and the Inflation Reduction Act has not even kicked in yet. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2023/03/01/clean-energy-hits-record-us-2023-sustainable-energy-factbook/11324041002/