[GWSG] Admirable dads; beef pushers; NY renewables law; with a heart; thriving fungi; exiting the zone?

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu May 4 10:25:22 EDT 2023

1. Heatmap Daily has a poll of climate actions and attitudes by gender and marital status. We dads come out admirably and much counter to our stereotype. In fact, we come off suspiciously well, but I’ll pass it on as an aspirational poll at the least.   https://heatmap.news/lifestyle/rise-of-the-climate-dads  I believe you get three free Heatmap Dailies before they raise the paywall.

2. One of the greatest contributions we can make to climate mitigation is cutting down on or eliminating our meat consumption, especially of beef. The beef industry has been working hard to persuade us not to do that. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/03/beef-industry-public-relations-messaging-machine

3. New York State has passed legislation requiring renewable power in state and municipal buildings by 2030. The public power provider, the New York Power Authority, is required to generate 100% clean power by that date. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/03/new-york-renewable-energy-public-utilities

4. The NY law has strong environmental justice provisions. It was passed after years of opposition from private energy groups. https://grist.org/energy/after-a-four-year-campaign-new-york-says-yes-to-publicly-owned-renewables-strong/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily

5. As the heat rises, funguses are becoming more of a problem in more places as they migrate toward the poles. They threaten our food supply. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/03/fungal-attacks-threaten-global-food-supply-say-experts

6. Earth has been in the Goldilocks zone: not too cold, not too hot. This overview warns that by adding two trillion tons of greenhouse gasses and a billion nuclear bombs of heat we may be pushing ourselves outside the zone. https://phys.org/news/2023-05-trillion-tons-greenhouse-gases-billion.html