[GWSG] O decline; Forbes on jobs; shipping; new site; smart companies; deferring decision; sea ice down; virgin forests

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Sep 15 10:31:30 EDT 2011

1.  As the oceans warm they will carry less dissolved oxygen in areas critical to some fish populations.  The decline, 20-40% in the next century, is enough to put the fish at serious risk.  http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20882-warming-seas-could-smother-seafood.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=climate-change

2.  An article in Forbes energetically supports the development of clean energy as a job creator.  It also attacks the bogus cost figures used by those with an investment in preventing change.   I am reminded that the recent Yale survey found that all political groups support developing renewable energy.   http://www.forbes.com/sites/mindylubber/2011/09/09/why-environmental-policies-dont-kill-jobs/

3.  An expensive catamaran has just circumnavigated the globe on solar power alone.  Ships, which now carry 90% of the world’s cargo and contribute 3% of greenhouse gasses, probably will not be exclusively solar anytime soon, but they have lots of room for improvements in efficiency, and are moving already in that right direction.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/business/global/around-the-world-on-solar-power-alone.html?_r=1

4.  Climate Communication is a new website with significant support from climate scientists.  It intends to provide basic info in available form.  http://climatecommunication.org/

5.  68% of the world’s top 500 companies now put climate change at the center of their business strategy, up from 48% last year (based on responses from 396 of the 500 companies). From 2005 to 2011, firms which focused on climate had double the return of those who did not.  45% of the firms have already cut greenhouse gas emissions, up from 19% in 2010.  59% of the firms which invested in energy efficiency and cutting ghg emissions reported that their expenses were recouped in 3 years.   74% now have emissions reductions targets, up from 65% in 2010.  2/3 of the firms offer financial rewards to employees taking action on climate change.  I offer so much detail because this report went far to dissolve the dundrums into which the Republican presidential debates have plunged me, a condition deepened by President Obama’s abandonment of the EPA pollution rules and his recent failure to address directly the necessary energy transition.   There are the smarter wealthy corporations, and then there are the Koch bros. and the others behind the positions of some of our politicians.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/14/worlds-largest-firms-climate-change

6.  President Obama explained that the decision to reverse the Bush loosening of pollution regulations was due for review in 2013, and so it was best to wait for that.  (I have found no even half-sensible defense of his decision on allowing oil companies to pipe tar sands oil through the US for export to escape the opposition of native peoples through whose lands they would have had to pipe it in Canada.)  http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/09/13/13greenwire-epa-drops-objections-to-court-case-over-bush-sm-8978.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

7.  Arctic sea ice loss will be at or near a record this year. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/13/us-arctic-record-idUSTRE78C5LZ20110913?feedType=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2Fenvironment+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Environment%29

8.  When it comes to preserving biodiversity in the tropics, nothing can replace virgin forests.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14912813