[GWSG] Think risk; Half Earth; $ for renewables; analyzing resilience; a better grid; mighty mangroves; lowest sea ice

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Mar 29 11:17:09 EDT 2016

1.  Ruth Greenspan Bell argues that instead of trying to base climate action on modeled costs of acting now rather than later, or on assumptions about how far we can go and still function, we should think in terms of risk.  Clearly we at risk of destructive and lasting change; clearly we should act vigorously.  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/25/climate-change-action-imperfect-data-epa

2.  In Half Earth: Our Planet's Fight for Life, E. O. Wilson proposes that half the earth, including the open ocean, be set aside as wild habitat.  That would preserve 89-90% of existing species and increase fishery yields.  A moral shift would be required but is within our reach.    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160327-wilson-half-planet-conservation-climate-change-extinction-ngbooktalk/

3.  Global investment in renewable energy exceeded that in fossil fuels, with the developing nations providing a majority of the funds.  The world's twelve-year investment in renewables stands at about $2.3 trillion.  http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/0327/How-much-did-the-world-invest-in-clean-energy-last-year

4.  Sandia National Laboratories has devised a process to analyze the resilience of Norfolk, VA under conditions of sea level rise.  It identifies risks to critical infrastructure and their financial implications for the region and the nation.  Sandia's report is applicable to other coastal cities and is available to the public.  http://phys.org/news/2016-03-analysis-method-cities-resilient-sea.html   Some further details:  http://www.wateronline.com/doc/city-resilience-sandia-analyzes-effects-of-rising-sea-levels-in-norfolk-0001

5.  An improved national power grid could eliminate the need for energy storage as the US derived 80% of its energy from renewables by 2030.  The plan described in a Nature Climate Change article also eliminates the need for any price increases.  The US is already moving to ready the grid for renewables.  http://climatecrocks.com/2016/03/29/new-renewable-transmission-can-bring-a-co2-fr/

6.  Low-growing mangrove stands sequester as much carbon per acre as many of the world's forests.  "Even the scrawniest of mangroves" deserve protection.  http://www.climatecentral.org/news/tiny-mangroves-hold-vast-stores-carbon-20182

7.  Arctic sea ice has set a record low maximum.  http://ecowatch.com/2016/03/29/arctic-sea-ice-record-low/?