[GWSG] Two shows; a human right; Paris in force; Marrakesh meeting; GOP acquired; EV interstates

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Nov 4 07:20:20 EDT 2016

1.  Leonardo DiCaprio's film After the Flood powerfully and lucidly describes the harm we have done by burning fossil fuels, evokes the consequences if we do not act, and honors the efforts we are making to avoid a complete catastrophe.  It is available on YouTube until Nov. 6.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90CkXVF-Q8M   National Geographic's series Years of Living Dangerously is also turning out to be quite good.  It is on Wednesday nights.

2.  On the publication of Pathways to Urban Sustainability by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Linda Katehi, Chancellor Emerita at UC Davis, argues that sustainability is a human right.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-katehi/sustainability-as-a-human_b_12762368.html

3.  The Paris agreement has entered into force, marking "a turning point" in human endeavor.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/04/paris-climate-change-agreement-enters-into-force

4.  The UN climate change summit in Marrakesh which opens next Monday will be devoted to implementing the Paris climate agreement.  That means that a successful conference will probably feature bureaucratic interaction rather than dramatic developments.   http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/03/business/energy-environment/cop22-united-nations-climate-change-summit-what-experts-expect.html?emc=edit_tnt_20161103&nlid=43628374&tntemail0=y&_r=0

5.  The Rolling Stone sketches the acquisition of the Republican party by the fossil fuel industry.  http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/why-republicans-still-reject-the-science-of-global-warming-w448023

6.  48 US interstate highways, a 25,000 mile highway system, will be corridors for electric cars with charging stations about every fifty miles.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/11/03/cross-country-road-trips-in-electric-cars-are-about-to-get-easier/?