[GWSG] 91 new volcanoes; CO2 sponge; ice slide; E Ant. stable; solar blocks; systemic change; in Kuwait; it'll be good for us

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Aug 18 07:06:31 EDT 2017

1. 91 previously unknown volcanoes lie beneath Antarctic ice, in addition to the 47 already known. Melting ice, and the consequent drop in weight on the earth's surface, has been associated with fresh volcanic activity in such regions as Alaska and Iceland. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/12/scientists-discover-91-volcanos-antarctica

2.  Rice U researchers have developed a boron nitride sponge which soaks up more than three times its weight in CO2, and will then give it up and can be reused thousands of times.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170816141830.htm

3.  Greenland's ice loss rate is likely to increase as the ice sheets slide to the ocean over increasingly sloppy and slippery sediments.  https://phys.org/news/2017-08-greenland-ice.html

4.  A study of core samples from the East Antarctic interior validates models which show the central East Antarctic stable even if the West Antarctic were to melt.  https://phys.org/news/2017-08-validates-east-antarctic-ice-sheet.html

5.  The U of Exeter is developing glass blocks which generate solar power, can be used structurally for building walls, are insulated, and transmit light to the building interior.  https://www.treehugger.com/solar-technology/solar-blocks-could-replace-solar-panels-buildings.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+treehuggersite+%28Treehugger%29

6.  In Systemic Change Driven by Moral Awakening Is Our Only Hope, Richard Heinberg argues that unless we can reverse our drive toward perpetual growth-in population, the economy, and general consumption-we cannot make the transition to a sustainable society.  https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-heinberg-2471869927.html

7.  Kuwait is the world's hottest city.  The article illustrates how systemic approaches-to building design, transportation, and consumption-are more likely to cope with its challenges than are isolated technological fixes, such as Western-style air conditioning.  https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/aug/18/kuwait-city-hottest-place-earth-climate-change-gulf-oil-temperatures

8.  Global warming will end up being good for humanity, though we and the rest of life on earth will incur grievous losses along the way as we work out how to lead a sustainable life. (Should we prove up to that.)  https://cleantechnica.com/2017/08/16/global-warming-will-good-humanity/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29  ?