[GWSG] Pious obstruction; 55C with 4C; 3" in 4 years; 4th gen nukes too late; Trump as speed bump; the case for optimism

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Aug 12 17:42:43 EDT 2017

1. How Fossil Fuel Money Made Climate Change Denial the Word of God describes the bond between many Christian Evangelicals and the fossil-fueled politics of climate obstruction. The ties arose not from the Evangelical leadership but from the general membership, which voted against climate action in 2005, opposed by groups such as the Evangelical Climate Initiative. The billion dollars spent yearly by fossil fuel corporations to influence US opinion seems to have played a role.  The National Association of Evangelicals did endorse climate action in 2015, but by then fossil fuel interests had a firm hold on much of the membership, Scott Pruitt and other familiar trumpettes among them.  https://splinternews.com/how-fossil-fuel-money-made-climate-denial-the-word-of-g-1797466298?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

2. If we allow the world to reach 4C, we may expect heatwaves of 55C (131F) in many areas, including Europe.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170809073802.htm

3. From 2011-15 the US East Coast south of Cape Hatteras experienced a sea level rise of three inches, probably from anomalous winds and currents. The elevated rate of rise is not expected to continue, though levels are unlikely to fall as the background rate rises.  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/climate/the-sea-level-did-in-fact-rise-faster-in-the-southeast-us.html?_r=0

4. A study of the progress toward generation four nuclear reactors concludes that we are at least thirty years away from implementing any such designs, and they are unlikely to play a part in our attempt to avoid catastrophic warming.  http://climatenewsnetwork.net/new-nuclear-designs-remain-elusive/

5. While US climate action is on hold under Trump, a new study indicates that we are unlikely to see a spike in emissions, though future administrations more aware of the need for action will find that more difficult for Trump's neglect.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/08/11/u-s-emissions-probably-wont-increase-under-trump-study-says-but-they-wont-fall-either/?nid&utm_term=.d9c00f87057a  Michael Bloomberg sees momentum for climate action arising from cities, states, and businesses, despite our federal torpor and obstruction.  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/11/donald-trump-american-paris-climate-targets-michael-bloomberg

6. James Murray, Editor of BusinessGreen, advises that given the state of climate we must fully honor the extremity of our situation by throwing ourselves, whole body, into the solutions. His political comments concern England but easily apply to other nations.  "What would Elon do?" https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/blog-post/3015164/all-in-we-need-more-climate-optimism-heres-how-to-generate-it   ?