[GWSG] Wave Swell Energy; what to know about the AMOC; C budget shrinks; 600 mile EVs; solar Teslas

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sun Jun 11 16:28:10 EDT 2017

1.  Australia's Wave Swell Energy is producing a cheap wave power technology which uses air driven by the rise and fall of waves to turn a turbine.  Expected cost of power is $.04/kilowatt-hour.  http://www.businessinsider.com/wave-power-device-artificial-blowhole-harvest-renewable-energy-australia-swell-green-2017-6

2.  Columbia's Earth Institute describes what we know about the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation and what would follow its disruption (which is a lot less than we would like to know).  http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2017/06/06/could-climate-change-shut-down-the-gulf-stream/

3.  Emissions from fossil fuels to build an infrastructure of renewables for a 100% global transition are estimated at about 2/3 of the average present global emissions for a year.  We need to take these emissions into account when calculating our remaining carbon budget, and that means we should be more aggressive than we have been about the transition as our budget is that much lower than we had supposed.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-climate-cost-of-100-renewable-energy_us_59366c58e4b0c670a3ce6806

4.  Purdue U has developed a recharging system for electric vehicles which would yield 600 mile ranges, recharge a car as quickly as one can fill a gas tank, and is cheap, safe, and environmentally friendly.  The system replaces electrolytes in a flow battery, and can use existing gasoline infrastructure to transport and deliver the fluid electrolytes.  http://inhabitat.com/instantly-rechargeable-battery-spells-bad-news-for-gas-guzzling-cars/?utm_source=Inhabitat+Weekly+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=3ecd2b1626-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_edda39917e-3ecd2b1626-207513645

5.  Responding to claims that electric vehicles are not green because they use energy from fossil fuels, Elon Musk announced that he plans to double the size of the Tesla charging network and convert all chargers to solar power.  https://cleantechnica.com/2017/06/10/elon-musk-says-tesla-supercharger-locations-will-use-solar-power-soon-elontweets/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-cleantechnica+%28CleanTechnica%29  ?