[GWSG] Biofuels w/CCS; WAIS instability; MIT's new grid battery; Indian & African H2O probs; H2O probs all around

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Jan 24 07:55:24 EST 2018

1. Burning biofuels with carbon capture and storage would remove carbon from the atmosphere, but a Potsdam Institute study finds that it would mean unacceptable loss of fresh water and land, and use destructive amounts of fertilizer. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/01/22/a-technology-many-hoped-would-fight-climate-change-would-cause-even-bigger-environmental-problems-scientists-say/?utm_term=.36a286003351

2. The West Antarctic's Pine Island Glacier is melting further inland than we knew and is interacting with neighboring Thwaites Glacier in a mutual destabilization. "These results show that the ocean is really starting to work on the edge of this glacier, which means that we're likely at the onset of it having an impact." https://news.stanford.edu/2018/01/23/neighboring-glaciers-may-cause-melt-faster/

3. An MIT project has developed a tough liquid sodium battery suitable for grid energy storage. The new batteries are cheap, safe, and durable. Thanks to Tom Larson for the topic. http://news.mit.edu/2018/metal-mesh-membrane-rechargeable-batteries-renewable-energy-0122

4. As rainfall patterns change and evaporation increases, water scarcity can become a problem despite the generally increased precipitation. Power production can suffer, as in India, and some cities, such as Cape Town, are facing difficulty supplying drinking water. http://mailchi.mp/climatenewsnetwork/water-scarcity-threat-to-india-and-south-africa?e=ea792e87f2 Wind power and non-concentrating solar power use little water.

5. Traditional water supplies may have to be supplemented as aquifers fail. A third of the world's ground water basins are in trouble.   https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4626

In our area, as we deplete and pollute the Floridian Aquifer, we will need to go back to the cisterns once common here. The St. Johns River Water Management District is already implementing several water conservation programs concerning our water usage for swimming pools, golf courses, and lawns. Perhaps list members with the District or with water management in other areas will share some further thoughts and plans.  https://www.sjrwmd.com/water-conservation/ ?