[GWSG] NE FL water; more rain everywhere; tidal range & SLR; EU at Davos; modifying capitalism; hotter oceans

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Jan 27 10:50:42 EST 2018

1. Deirdre Irwin of the St. Johns River Water Management District has supplied some information on planning in this region.  Generally, we will need to meet most of our water consumption growth by the planning horizon of 2035 through water conservation.

"Following up on your aquifer and WMD piece, there is a lot happening in FL to plan for alternative sources. The water supply planning staff are extremely focused on this effort, nowhere more than in Central Fl where the CFWI effort is fairly massive in its stakeholder involvement.

https://www.sjrwmd.com/water-supply/planning/

https://cfwiwater.com/what_is_CFWI.html

cool video to explain it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Z9_Nfkugc&feature=youtu.be

 Our cost-share funding program is helping local governments plan for alternate sources. Sometimes we are so busy doing the work we do not tell enough folks about all we are doing."

2. Precipitation is increasing in both dry and wet regions as the atmosphere carries more moisture. The annual increases in dry regions are slightly larger. Extreme rainfall is becoming steadily more common over land.  https://www.nature.com/news/global-warming-already-driving-increases-in-rainfall-extremes-1.19508

3. Sea level rise has been found to increase the tidal range in Delaware and Chesapeake Bays by up to 20%. In other areas the range may be stable or decrease, depending on the shape of the bay and the general speed of the waves.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180124172428.htm

4. At Davos, Europe is showing new energy in support of European integration serving development, social justice and climate action. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/business/europe-trumpism-davos.html?emc=edit_tnt_20180124&nlid=43628374&tntemail0=y

5. Philipp Hildebrand, Vice Chair of Blackrock, the world's largest asset manager, told Davos attendees that academics should study the effects if fiduciary responsibility were to include "environmental, social, and governance factors." "We have to change capitalism. This is really what's at stake here. And frankly we need a new contract between companies, investors and governments," said Hildebrand. http://www.climatechangenews.com/2018/01/24/change-capitalism-says-blackrock-vice-chair/

Peter Sinclair adds a couple of further stories on the topic. https://climatecrocks.com/2018/01/25/uber-capitalist-we-have-to-change-capitalism-to-deal-with-climate/

6. In terms of heat added to the upper 2000 meters of the ocean, 2017 was the hottest year on record, according to a new Chinese study. Since most of the earth's heat is stored there, ocean heating is a centrally important measure.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/jan/26/in-2017-the-oceans-were-by-far-the-hottest-ever-recorded ?