[GWSG] Gas probs; & that's good; Exxon gassy; Shell sells shale; BP & Shell hedge EVs; BP gassy; Whitehouse book

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Jan 31 19:48:57 EST 2018

1. Natural gas seems to have caught the coal bug and could succumb more quickly than expected. Siemens, GE, and Mitsubishi are laying off tens of thousands of workers in cancelled natural gas related manufacturing projects. https://climatecrocks.com/2018/01/29/old-flame-the-end-of-natural-gas/

2. It is high time to turn off the gas, which never was more than just another bridge off the cliff. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/jan/29/natural-gas-killed-coal-now-renewables-and-batteries-are-taking-over

3. Exxon Mobil, fans of ALEC, are betting the other way and are moving to triple their production of gas from the US Permian Basin by 2025. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/business/energy-environment/exxon-shale.html

4. Shell is selling shale oil assets in anticipation of the energy transition-in this case, a transition specifically to electric vehicles. As gasoline demand drops, so will the price of oil, and Shell is trying to avoid increasing their stranded assets. https://climatecrocks.com/2018/01/31/is-oil-fked-oil-giant-scrambles-to-prep-for-post-oil-world/

5. BP and Shell are opening charging points for electric vehicles at some of their service stations. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/30/bp-charging-points-electric-cars-uk-petrol-stations

6. BP is betting on the future of natural gas (as well as of electric vehicles). https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-30/bp-reshapes-portfolio-to-ensure-oil-assets-aren-t-left-undrilled

7. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (RI) as US Attorney for his state and then as RI Attorney General prosecuted gangsters, corrupt politicians, and polluters; as senator he has attempted to fight the corruption of our political system. For years he has urged the senate to climate action. In Captured: The Corporate Infiltration of American Democracy he details the process by which corporations have gained virtual control of our government and our courts, preventing action to regulate and control corruption. His last chapters describe the corporate campaigns to stifle climate action. A shelf of books (such as Jane Mayers' excellent Dark Money) have addressed the topic, but no one I have read has told the story as broadly as Sen. Whitehouse. For example, I had no idea we have been largely deprived of civil juries. He completed the book just after Trump's election but it remains timely.  https://smile.amazon.com/Captured-Corporate-Infiltration-American-Democracy/dp/1620972077/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1517315089&sr=1-1  ?