[GWSG] Oceans have heated more than we supposed

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Oct 31 19:51:16 EDT 2018

By measuring the gasses emitted by the ocean as an indication of its warming, a Nature study has concluded that ocean warming was “more than twice the rates of long-term warming estimates from the 1960s and ‘70s to the present.”   We have less time than we thought, and can emit 25% less greenhouse gasses, before we trigger catastrophic warming. Sea levels will rise more quickly than we had supposed. The study was led by Princeton’s Laure Resplandy, a geoscientist. https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/10/31/startling-new-research-finds-large-buildup-heat-oceans-suggesting-faster-rate-global-warming/?utm_term=.5c58ef3a4d13
[https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/K4wInVkp1ZhtYrwEbmrNw50fVTM=/1484x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/PFXASCWRYEI6RJG3DBBRDUTRFE.jpg]<https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/10/31/startling-new-research-finds-large-buildup-heat-oceans-suggesting-faster-rate-global-warming/?utm_term=.5c58ef3a4d13>

Startling new research finds large buildup of heat in the ...<https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/10/31/startling-new-research-finds-large-buildup-heat-oceans-suggesting-faster-rate-global-warming/?utm_term=.5c58ef3a4d13>
www.washingtonpost.com
Reporter covering climate change, energy and the environment. The world’s oceans have been soaking up far more excess heat in recent decades than scientists realized, suggesting that Earth could ...

PhysOrg supplies more details about the study, which was funded by NOAA and the Princeton Environmental Institute. The estimate of the total heat absorbed by the oceans is 60% greater than the figure in the 2014 IPCC report. https://phys.org/news/2018-10-earth-oceans-absorbed-percent-previously.html
[https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2018/earthsoceans.jpg]<https://phys.org/news/2018-10-earth-oceans-absorbed-percent-previously.html>

Earth's oceans have absorbed 60 percent more heat than ...<https://phys.org/news/2018-10-earth-oceans-absorbed-percent-previously.html>
phys.org
The researchers reported in the journal Nature Nov. 1 that the world's oceans took up more than 13 zettajoules—which is a joule, the standard unit of energy, followed by 21 zeroes—of heat ...

The Nature letter: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0651-8 You can rent it for 48 hours for $8.99.