[GWSG] Climate changes; SLR planning; AMOC mechanics; Thwaites's cavity; prefab homes; green architecture;

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:18:44 EST 2019

1. The Washington Post’s multimedia story Gone in a Generation tells stories of change in four US regions: the upper Midwest for forest changes, North Carolina for flooding, California for forest fires, and upper New England for changes in fisheries. The presentation takes about twenty minutes, and though you could hurry through it you probably won’t.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation/?utm_term=.216c183bcb92

2. Atlantic Beach FL is experiencing three times the sea level rise they were in the 1990s. They are undertaking a vulnerability study. http://news.wjct.org/post/atlantic-beach-takes-steps-begin-addressing-sea-level-rise

3. A 21-month study of the oceans off Greenland shows that our views on how the cold water from the Greenland melt drives the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation have been wrong. The implications are not clear. https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/01/31/surprising-new-picture-ocean-circulation-could-have-major-consequences-climate-science/?utm_term=.09dacf239d88

4. An enormous and surprising cavity has been found in the West Antarctic’s Thwaites Glacier, an indication of instability. https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/01/31/city-sized-1000-foot-deep-cavity-found-glacier-warns-nasa-signaling-rapid-decay?cd-origin=rss

5. Many of us will be considering relocation under pressure from the climate. Some of us, mindful of FEMA trailers and tent cities, are even fantasizing about helping to organize sustainable communities. Dwell, which runs stories about prefab homes, is a dream aid. https://www.dwell.com/prefab-homes

6. The green new deal has an architectural side which goes beyond (even) concrete prefab homes. https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/green-new-deal-architecture?verso=true

I know we have architects and city planners on the list. Perhaps they can suggest articles in their areas. I anticipate that relocation will be a growing preoccupation. For example, six million people south of FL’s Lake Okeechobee are losing their drainage and their water supply. If you live in the US, some of them will be coming someplace near you, along with some of the rest of the coastal population. Then there are droughts, floods, and fires, all leading to relocations. We need to get busy planning some new communities which are places we would want to live.

7. A couple of kids explain climate change to Donald Trump. https://grist.org/article/kids-break-down-climate-change-for-president-trump/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily

I'm sorry to say my mail service has stopped inserting pics from the linked articles. I hope they resume (or I discover how to turn the pics on).