[GWSG] O'ahu plan; social/climate action; action blockers; Jax's planlessness; scientists' pain; everyone's eco-anxiety; >700 cities declare emergency

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Jul 10 09:44:29 EDT 2019

1. The Resilience Strategy for the Island of O’ahu is intensely local but a model for other regions in the way it combines climate planning with social action to counter inequity and housing problems. https://www.resilientoahu.org/resilience-strategy
[http://static1.squarespace.com/static/59af5d3cd7bdce7aa5c3e11f/t/59b2ea578dd04187fcdad916/1504897628090/Resilient+Oahu+logo.png?format=1500w]<https://www.resilientoahu.org/resilience-strategy>
Resilience Strategy — City and County of Honolulu Office of Climate Change, Sustainability and Resiliency - resilientoahu.org<https://www.resilientoahu.org/resilience-strategy>
www.resilientoahu.org
Developing O‘ahu’s Resilience Strategy. This Resilience Strategy was written by our community. Over an 18-month period grassroots residents and community leaders helped shape and craft the 44 resilience actions that form the body of this strategy and lay a path to a resilient future for O‘ahu.

2. Climate action is likely to prove impotent without attention to social problems. France’s gilets jaunes illustrate one issue—resentment of climate actions by those who perceive that the actions perpetuate or increase inequity. On the gilets jaunes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement
[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/2018-12-01_14-35-57_manif-GJ-Belfort.jpg/1200px-2018-12-01_14-35-57_manif-GJ-Belfort.jpg]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement>
Yellow vests movement - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement>
en.wikipedia.org
Casualties; Death(s) 15 civilians in Belgium and France (11 were killed in traffic accidents related to yellow vests roadblocks, 2 men died of heart attacks during the protests, 1 woman died of a surgical shock at the hospital after she had been injured in the margins of a demonstration.

3. Fossil fuel corporations are quick to arouse and use social resentment to block climate action. Even where social justice is built into the legislation and wide support cultivated, political and commercial interests can act against the public good as they did in Oregon with the defeat of the cap and trade initiative. It is as if citizens blocked their army from going to protect them against the barbarians, as the Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove were said to have attempted in Third Century China.   https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-rogue-republicans-killed-oregons-climate-change-bill
[https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5d1501a012a4f90008b44237/16:9/w_1200,h_630,c_limit/Kormann-OregonClimateBill.jpg]<https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-rogue-republicans-killed-oregons-climate-change-bill>
How Rogue Republicans Killed Oregon’s Climate-Change Bill | The New Yorker<https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-rogue-republicans-killed-oregons-climate-change-bill>
www.newyorker.com
Early Tuesday morning, in Oregon, Shilpa Joshi, the coalition director of Renew Oregon, a clean-energy advocacy organization, rented a minivan from a lot on the outskirts of Portland, picked up a ...

4. For people in NE FL, O’ahu’s study is a reminder of what we might have had if our mayor had not removed us from the 100 Resilient Cities program. I do not consider Mayor Curry a sage for blocking those who would have helped us defend ourselves. Perhaps the methane industry and the developers have benefited from our engineered ignorance of the part we are to play in the climate crisis. As it is, we are dependent on the bravery of Nancy Shaver and Ellen Glasser, leaders of the small coastal communities of St. Augustine and Atlantic Beach, for hints of our general vulnerability to sea level rise and are without anything approaching the scope of the planning represented in the Hawaiian study. What the regional Republican leadership has done to Jacksonville is a miniature of what they would do and are doing in our state and in the country at large. I intend no offence to those Republicans who are working to engage climate issues, nor those who are somehow unaware of what their leaders are up to and would repudiate them if they learned about it. https://news.wjct.org/post/jacksonville-drops-out-rockefeller-foundations-100-resilient-cities
[http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wjct/files/styles/medium/public/201602/100ResilientCities.png]<https://news.wjct.org/post/jacksonville-drops-out-rockefeller-foundations-100-resilient-cities>
Jacksonville Drops Out Of Rockefeller Foundation's '100 Resilient Cities' | WJCT NEWS<https://news.wjct.org/post/jacksonville-drops-out-rockefeller-foundations-100-resilient-cities>
news.wjct.org
The city of Jacksonville is no longer participating in the Rockefeller Foundation's 100 Resilient Cities initiative. The program, which awards cities around the world $1 million in cash and ...

5. Climate scientists must deal with the emotions aroused by what they discover, and by the public’s failures to respond to that knowledge adequately. Even a volunteer climate journalist must deal with some anger, disappointment, and frustration. While expressing it helps, it is probably best to edit out most of the rancor. I have.   https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/07/weight-of-the-world-climate-change-scientist-grief/?fbclid=IwAR17rHr30Vtiv2H9PlgYjX_TWDHMUpeMXiT_rp2Wfvxd7AOD-tF-K-BR1cE
[https://www.motherjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/20190703_bird-2000x1124.jpg?w=1200&h=140&crop=1]<https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/07/weight-of-the-world-climate-change-scientist-grief/?fbclid=IwAR17rHr30Vtiv2H9PlgYjX_TWDHMUpeMXiT_rp2Wfvxd7AOD-tF-K-BR1cE>
What happens when you can see disaster unfolding, and nobody listens?<https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/07/weight-of-the-world-climate-change-scientist-grief/?fbclid=IwAR17rHr30Vtiv2H9PlgYjX_TWDHMUpeMXiT_rp2Wfvxd7AOD-tF-K-BR1cE>
www.motherjones.com
The distinct burden of being a climate scientist

6. People in general are having difficulty dealing with news on the climate. The American Psychological Association has published a 69-page report recommending ways to counter eco-anxiety. Connecting with the community helps.  https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-eco-anxiety-2639137234.html?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2
[https://ecowatchroar-img.rbl.ms/simage/https%3A%2F%2Fassets.rbl.ms%2F19811311%2F980x.jpg/2000%2C2000/tRTlsm2k2qJ4JkPV/img.jpg]<https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-eco-anxiety-2639137234.html?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2>
Climate Change Is Causing Us ‘Eco-Anxiety’<https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-eco-anxiety-2639137234.html?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2>
www.ecowatch.com
Pop culture's absorption of eco-anxiety shouldn't come as a surprise — it's capturing the zeitgeist of a U.S. under an administration that actively denies climate science despite widespread public belief.In December 2018, a Yale University survey found that nearly 70 percent of Americans are at least "somewhat worried" about climate change, 49 percent feel "afraid" and 51 percent said they feel "helpless." And a recent Harvard Public Opinion Project report found that 45 percent of young Americans believe climate change is a "crisis and demands urgent action." One 2018 poll found that three quarters of millennials report that consuming negative media about climate change has had an impact on their mental health.Even climate scientists and writers are feeling the effects of confronting the existential threat of climate change every day.Peter Kalmus, a climate scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, says that climate grief strikes unexpectedly, even on the job."In a millisecond, without warning, I'll feel my t

7. More than 700 cities around the world have declared a climate emergency. (Paris, New York, and Cologne have since made the declaration, and 100 more cities will vote on it soon.) <https://www.dw.com/en/climate-emergency-new-hope-or-just-empty-words/a-49523833> <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/05/nyregion/climate-emergency-nyc.html> https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/la-forms-climate-emergency-mobilisation-office-190703202823658.html
[https://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/Images/2019/7/3/86a7df50af48494d98910ed4d5aacba5_18.jpg]<https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/la-forms-climate-emergency-mobilisation-office-190703202823658.html>
LA forms first-ever climate emergency mobilisation office | News | Al Jazeera<https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/la-forms-climate-emergency-mobilisation-office-190703202823658.html>
www.aljazeera.com
LA forms first-ever climate emergency mobilisation office. California's largest city, Los Angeles, becomes the first in the world to take such steps to reverse global warming.