[GWSG] Harvesting wood; not clear-cutting; Greta in Iowa; fusion centers etc.; Mulkey lectures; likely extremes

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Oct 5 16:39:51 EDT 2019

1. When calculating how much carbon is sequestered in a forest, soil carbon is seldom measured. An analysis of two New Hampshire managed forests indicated that harvesting did not decrease the net carbon embodied in the forest when soil carbon is included. Lumber, pulp, and fuel can be harvested sustainably.  https://phys.org/news/2019-10-forests-hampshire-rich-carbon.html

The study did not address the effect of harvesting on wildlife. Too, does sequestered carbon increase at the same rate in a harvested forest as In an old growth forest? Managed forests are unlikely to meet the goals of preserving biodiversity and sequestering carbon, but it is reassuring to know that if we would like to make a violin or a pack of paper we could produce the required wood with some degree of responsibility.

2. Clear-cutting, on the other hand, releases soil carbon to the atmosphere. https://phys.org/news/2016-04-clear-cutting-destabilizes-carbon-forest-soils.html

3. More than 3,000 people turned out in Iowa City on two days’ notice to strike with Greta Thunberg. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/04/greta-thunberg-iowa-climate-strike

4. The USA Patriot Act is being used to stifle dissent. 79 fusion centers have been established around the US to collect data on people who are environmental activists. The data may be shared, as in Oregon, with private security forces affiliated with the fossil fuel industry. The federal government itself is sufficiently sinister. Are you on the no-fly list and identified in government files as some sort of problem to authorities public or private? How would you know? If you should have trouble flying, how would you get off the presumed list? There is no verification, no justification, and no appeal. At least, none that I have been able to discover.  https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/04/police-tracking-of-climate-protesters-its-worse-than-you-could-possibly-imagine/?utm_source=CleanTechnica+News&utm_campaign=3bf6bdb34f-Daily+Email+CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b9b83ee7eb-3bf6bdb34f-331994013

5. Stephen Mulkey, U of Florida, has recorded two well illustrated lectures: Climate Change Causes,  Processes, and Impacts. 45 and 37 minutes, the lectures take us through the foundations of our sense of our situation, the state of the world and how it got that way. The second lecture outlines the impact of the changes now in progress. (The transcript on the right of the screen is handy if you miss something Stephen says, but as you will quickly see, it is done by machine and makes some surprising and even humorous mistakes.) I will bet that you have no better way to spend an hour and a half. https://ufl.zoom.us/recording/play/gIjPEZBehUKiGDEzPLctOw16EGyJLhaUZFNG_hn95IPf1UVBdOwpjBLc8itHqxpV?continueMode=true

For the second lecture, return to the Environmental Century home page and click on Climate Change Impacts.

6. PBS in a seven-minute clip takes on the likelihood of the more extreme climate scenarios.  https://climatecrocks.com/2019/10/05/pbs-why-extreme-climate-scenarios-seem-more-likely/