[GWSG] Targets; adaptation support; right to water; healthcare emissions; necessary fires; DHA to dwindle; uneven heat & clams; C-neutral VW ID.3

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Sep 12 07:21:32 EDT 2019

1. This spring Katherine Kayhoe explained how the emissions targets came to be set at 1.5-2C. Finally, net zero emissions is the goal, and the sooner the better. Thanks to Ed Brock for the item. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1104833329587806210.html

2. The Global Commission on Adaptation, which includes Bill Gates and Ban Ki-moon, has called for aggressive investment in adaptation to complement vigorous mitigation efforts. If we are to continue our mitigation efforts under the pressures the coming decade will bring, we had best begin adaptation measures to preserve our stability. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/experts-say-adapting-to-climate-change-can-pay-off-manifold/2019/09/09/aa25b63e-d35e-11e9-8924-1db7dac797fb_story.html

3. In 2010 the UN declared clean water a human right. Since 2000, 267 municipalities which privatized their water returned it to public control. Blue Communities is a global organization to fight privatization of the water supply; an aspect is to fight bottled water. Berlin replaced it with public water fountains. https://therevelator.org/barlow-water-privatization/

4. Healthcare is a major emitter of greenhouse gasses. Alternatives exist; hospitals must be brought to enact emissions control policies. https://climatenewsnetwork.net/healthcare-can-worsen-global-climate-crisis/

5. Large, severe forest fires in the US did not increase 1984-2015. The current plans for post-fire logging projects are misguided and could actually prevent forest regeneration. https://phys.org/news/2019-09-megafires-large-high-severity-natural-western.html

6. Humans depend on seafood for DHA, an amino acid essential a healthy brain. At current heating rates most of the world will be unable to obtain sufficient amounts of DHA by the end of the century. https://phys.org/news/2019-09-global-threaten-availability-essential-brain-building.html

7. As the earth heats unevenly, a mysterious hot area off the coast of Uruguay has been fatal to the local clam population. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-energy-202/2019/09/11/the-energy-202-uruguay-s-clam-die-off-is-a-vivid-sign-of-global-warming-s-ripple-effects/5d77f65588e0fa7bb93a8a72/

8. Volkswagen will offer three versions of the ID.3, an electric car with a 2-300 mile range, beginning at about $33,000. Its production is carbon neutral. https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/09/volkswagen-id-3-arrives-superb-mix-of-quality-affordability/