[GWSG] Climate opinions; hurricanes & planning; E buses; assemblies proposed; Klein interview; why CO2?; errata

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Sep 14 08:38:54 EDT 2019

1. 76% of Americans now consider climate disruption a major problem or a crisis, and about two-thirds fault Trump for not dealing with it. 70% trust that coming technological advances will stave off the worst effects. 62% think they will have to make only minor sacrifices themselves. https://beta.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/americans-increasingly-see-climate-change-as-a-crisis-poll-shows/2019/09/12/74234db0-cd2a-11e9-87fa-8501a456c003_story.html

2. Stephen Mulkey begins with a discussion of the changing conditions under which hurricanes form in the Atlantic and proceeds to the planning and actions communities should undertake, including prohibition of development in especially at-risk areas and managed retreat from coastal areas. https://environmentalcentury.net/2019/09/07/dorian-and-his-family-welcome-you-to-the-anthropocene/

3. Urban Latin America has the highest bus use in the world. They are increasingly electric. China is still the leader in the transition to electric buses. https://e360.yale.edu/features/an-increasingly-urbanized-latin-america-turns-to-electric-buses

4. The UK’s liberal democrats propose to use citizens’ assemblies to achieve carbon neutrality by 2045. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/14/lib-dems-set-out-radical-agenda-for-tackling-climate-emergency

5. Naomi Klein talks about her new book, recommends a novel, and says why she thinks the green new deal is a big deal, among other climate issues. “We are seeing the beginnings of an era of climate barbarism.” https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/14/naomi-klein-we-are-seeing-the-beginnings-of-the-era-of-climate-barbarism

6. Jason West reviews the basic factor of a changing climate: the influence of carbon dioxide on earth’s energy balance. https://theconversation.com/why-carbon-dioxide-has-such-outsized-influence-on-earths-climate-123064

7. Correction to the last news list: our most prominent evangelical climate scientist is Katharine Hayhoe, not Kayhoe.

Complication: The last news list carried an article from Phys.Org on the necessity of eating fish to obtain the DHA necessary for a healthy brain. There are other sources. People may produce DHA from the ALA in plant oils (though perhaps less readily by us aged), and DHA may be available from other marine sources such as seaweed. The fish get their DHA from algae. We can thank the phytoplankton, the same ones succumbing to our burning of fossil fuels, for quite a lot of our brains and most of our oxygen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid

Thanks to Peggy Tilley who pointed out my errors.