[GWSG] Biggest, cheapest solar; NM chooses solar; yet bigger solar for Singapore; the Australian plan for 2040

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Jul 30 08:18:41 EDT 2020

1. A contract to build a 2GW solar plant near Abu Dhabi has been awarded at an energy cost of $.0135/kWh. That’s the world’s largest solar installation (but see the 10GW proposal in item 3) and the cheapest solar power.  https://reneweconomy.com.au/worlds-largest-solar-power-plant-moves-forward-with-worlds-lowest-price-61208/

2.  Following state legislative requirements to develop renewable energy, New Mexico’s Public Regulation Commission has ordered a large coal plant replaced by 650MW of solar plus 300MW of battery storage while avoiding new investments in gas or coal.  A carbon-capture experiment will probably be abandoned. https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/prc-approves-renewable-energy-to-replace-san-juan-coal-plant/article_81de816e-d1b5-11ea-a1d2-33ee009c38c1.html

3. Singapore is developing a 10GW solar farm and 30GWh of battery storage in Australia which will deliver power to Singapore, and eventually to Indonesia, by the world’s longest undersea cable. Australia is the world’s largest coal and LNG exporter. Its Energy Minister observed that the new project will be important for Australia as it attempts to maintain its role as an energy exporter. (I take this to be recognition that coal and LNG are on the way out.)  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/australia-fast-tracks-16-billion-solar-power-export-project/ar-BB17mayT?ocid=msedgdhp

4. The Australian Energy Market Operator has released a plan for the country’s energy system in 2040 based on renewable energy. “We’ve now shifted from wondering whether wind and solar are our cheapest resource to a new set of problems which is: how do we efficiently integrate these resources into the system so that we can take full advantage of the fact that for the first time in this industry we can use free fuel?” Existing (though not new) gas still plays a part in the plan so long as its price stays low, and some Australians are wondering why. The report projects that Australia’s energy supply could occasionally reach 75% renewable within the next five years.  https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/gas-prices-will-need-to-stay-low-to-compete-with-alternatives-on-renewable-grid-operator-says/ar-BB17kSZm

5. Renew Economy describes the new Australian plan for the “world’s fastest energy transition,” supplying a lot of background and details. https://reneweconomy.com.au/worlds-fastest-energy-transition-aemo-maps-path-to-94-per-cent-renewables-26955/
This Renew Economy mailing explores other aspects of the report with articles on the cheaper batteries which will replace gas plants, and the plan’s emphases on reliability and economy. https://reneweconomy.com.au/