[GWSG] Trump's motives and the fate of the earth

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Jul 27 08:26:22 EDT 2020

To meet the 1.5C goal of the Paris Accord the world will have to cut emissions 7% every year this decade. If Trump is reelected that becomes close to impossible, in part because other nations align their actions with those of the US, a dominant economy and major emitter. If Trump is unsuccessful in his apparent attempts to destabilize the US by fomented urban violence and unchecked disease to the point that he can call off the election (as Hitler did with Germany in 1933), we will in probable effect get to vote on the fate of the earth in less that a hundred days.  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/27/global-climate-fight-could-be-lost-trump-re-elected
The opinion that Trump is attempting to destabilize our country so that he can declare a national emergency and call off the election is mine, not the Guardian’s. I have difficulty otherwise accounting for his organization of unwelcome military-style troops inviting confrontation in our cities, and his blocking of the steps necessary to control the spread of covid-19 even as our medical capacities are overwhelmed in increasingly large regions of the country. In these efforts he is being supported by Republican authorities at all levels of government, though I cannot imagine that many of them intend destabilization. In 1933 Hitler destabilized Germany through street violence and the Reichstag Fire. Hitler allowed no further elections after calling off elections that year. The one book that Trump is said to have read attentively is a collection of Hitler’s speeches, which Trump’s ex-wife said he kept by his bedside. https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trumps-ex-wife-once-said-he-kept-a-book-of-hitlers-speeches-by-his-bed-2015-8

Trump’s urban militias are increasing, not preventing violence. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/26/us/protests-portland-seattle-trump.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20200727&instance_id=20640&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=43628374&segment_id=34434&user_id=8c547d53af6ff6fc7d49cb8612c07102

Trump’s efforts with regard to covid-19 include blocking support for measures to control its spread. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/18/covid-19-cases-us-icu-beds-south-west

Trump could hardly do worse if he tried. Perhaps he is. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/20/could-trumps-handling-pandemic-have-been-any-worse/

It might be prudent to begin thinking of ways to say no to attempts to interfere with holding our election, even in the midst of created chaos. More could hardly be at stake.