[GWSG] Heating Arizona; soil threat; US in a global election; Chomsky on Trump; Harry Reid on Biden

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Nov 2 10:38:26 EST 2020

1. In Arizona’s Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix, the heat stayed above 90 for 28 straight nights this summer. Even the saguaro cactuses are “beginning to topple over and die.” So are some people.  A growing concern over the climate is beginning to have its political impact on this formerly dark red area. A failing water supply also marks a region which is on its way to becoming only marginally habitable.  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/01/climate-change-arizona-us-election-2020

2. 2C of heat would release about 230 billion tons of carbon from the world’s soil, setting up a positive feedback in which the release would cause heat which would cause further release of C. https://phys.org/news/2020-11-billions-tons-soil-carbon.html

3. The world’s chances of dealing successfully with the climate crisis hang on the outcome of the US election. If Trump wins, our chances are slight. If Biden, we at least will be able to do what we know we must.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/01/world/us-election-climate-crisis-intl-dst-hnk/index.html

4. The Associated Press’s Seth Borenstein makes the same point, adding further analysis. https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2020/nov/01/us-vote-to-shape-how-world-warms-as-climate-pact-e/

5. Noam Chomsky, now 91, considers than in endangering “organized human life on earth,” Donald Trump is “the worst criminal in human history.” https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/noam-chomsky-believes-trump-is-the-worst-criminal-in-human-history

6. Harry Reid has faith in the power of Joe Biden’s plans to cope with the crisis if he gets a chance to implement them. https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/11/01/biden-harris-new-congress-climate-crisis-quick-action-column/6103697002/