[GWSG] Geothermal loop; ancient SLR adaptation; ag emissions; Alice to fly; FL rain forecast; Biden & Harris & the earth's future

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Nov 7 11:35:03 EST 2020

1. Geothermal projects use some of the technology and many of the skills now less desirably employed in the gas and oil fields. Canada’s Eavor Technologies is proposing a self-powering loop of water to a depth of 3.5 km which will deliver significant, and controllable, amounts of power at competitive prices. Geothermal power may be on the way to a larger role in the energy transition. https://climatecrocks.com/2020/11/02/is-geothermal-poised-for-breakout/

2. When a cluster of islands off Cornwall, England, submerged 4-5,000 years ago, the population adapted to the new shallow seas and wetlands rather than relocating. Researchers conclude that our reactions to sea level rise are complex and unpredictable. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-54798122

3. Cutting emissions from fossil fuels is necessary for effective climate action. So are large cuts in agricultural emissions, responsible for a third of greenhouse gasses. We must use fertilizer more efficiently and shift our diets from meat to grains, fruits, and vegetables, among other adjustments . https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/11/food-and-farming-could-stymie-climate-efforts-researchers-say

4. Israel’s Eviation intends to begin delivering its 9-passenger electric airplane in 2022. Alice flies a 650 mile range at 1/6 to 1/10 the cost of conventional aircraft, a bit more slowly but much more quietly, with zero emissions.  https://cleantechnica.com/2020/11/06/eviation-set-to-deliver-first-9-passenger-electric-airplane-in-2022/

5. As the Atlantic heats, peninsular Florida (though not the panhandle) is due for more rain, particularly in late summer. https://phys.org/news/2020-11-rainfall-florida-season.html

6. With the election of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, the world’s chances of doing something to cope with the climate crisis have improved greatly. We should be able to save many species which would otherwise have disappeared forever, perhaps including ourselves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLbmnvMWM0