[GWSG] A sailing transport; NY's new targets; the global endgame; BBC on our election; gas passing

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Oct 19 13:53:50 EDT 2020

1. A Swedish firm is designing the ship Oceanbird, scheduled to begin hauling autos in 2024 powered 90% by wind. https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/oceanbird-sweden-s-new-car-carrier-is-the-world-s-largest-wind-powered-vessel/ar-BB1a5yuT?ocid=msedgdhp
Why not solar and batteries for the remaining 10%?

2. The New York State Public Utilities Commission has adopted ambitious energy goals which include 70% electricity from renewable sources by 2030. The path to that end involves developing 4500 gigawatt hours of new renewable energy a year.  https://www.nrdc.org/experts/cullen-howe/new-york-lays-down-gauntlet-renewable-energy

3. Columbia U’s Adam Tooze, writing in in Foreign Policy, considers the endgame of international climate efforts. For example, we should not be too cynical on China’s efforts—if they want to become the dominant power in the next 50 years, they know they will need a world to dominate. We should recognize and confront the growing emissions of emerging nations, and reevaluate our emphasis on the Paris accord, with its focus on individual national efforts. “Now we have to finally come to terms with multipolarity.”   https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/10/17/great-power-competition-climate-china-europe-japan/?utm_campaign=Carbon%20Brief%20Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20201019&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

4. The rest of the world (here, the BBC) is anxious about our election because we may well be deciding their future. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54395534

5. Commercial Gas may be supported temporarily by Biden’s policies (if he wins; by Trump's if he doesn't) but is likely to be out of the picture in a few years even with support. They need nigher prices to be viable but those would make them yet less competitive with renewables.  https://climatecrocks.com/2020/10/19/gas-looking-like-coal-just-before-the-crash/