[GWSG] Landfills going down; sickening heat; interrupted nuclear; summer's weather; IPCC to report; coding out gas

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Aug 7 12:50:24 EDT 2021

1. We need to begin readying our coastal areas for submersion. Landfills should be high on our list of necessary cleanups. Thanks to Shelley Edson for the story. https://www.thenation.com/article/environment/coastal-landfill-climate-change/

2. Over a quarter of Americans suffered health effects from the heat last summer. “People reported health symptoms like nausea and cramps, as well as a decreased ability to focus, and the effects hit low-income households the hardest.” Heat is now the leading weather-related killer in the US. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/07/study-health-extreme-heat-climate-crisis

3. Interruption of service at nuclear power plants has increased seven-fold since 1990. Many of the outages are due to the climate crisis.  https://techxplore.com/news/2021-08-reveals-frequency-nuclear-power-outages.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

4. CBS put together a six-minute segment profiling this summer’s weather disasters. https://climatecrocks.com/2021/08/07/summer-extremes-continue-to-shock/

5. The CBS clip is a good prologue for next week’s IPCC report on the state of the climate.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/06/climate-news-un-ipcc/

6. When a building is constructed using commercial methane it freezes that usage in place, generally for the life of the building. The International Energy Agency says that new construction will need to switch to all-electric if we are to achieve 1.5C of heat this century. The key to the transition is a set of appropriate building codes. Of course the gas industry is pushing back as hard as it can. https://insideclimatenews.org/news/02082021/building-codes-california-climate-change/?utm_source=InsideClimate+News&utm_campaign=bda6060ede-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_29c928ffb5-bda6060ede-326454481