[GWSG] IPCC AR6, part one; its context; its generation, its consensual freight; what the First Dog says about it

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon Aug 9 08:32:51 EDT 2021

1. The first of three IPCC reports projects that we will pass 1.5C of warming by 2030. What happens after that is up to us. We could through immediate and determined actions move back under that threshold by 2100, or we could slide more rapidly into chaos. The second report, due next February, concerns the impacts of increasing heat. The third will appear in March to address the ways to reduce atmospheric carbon—that is, to solve the problem we have created. https://phys.org/news/2021-08-global-code-red-humanity.html

2. NBC does a good (and brief) job of putting the report into context. https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/un-releases-blistering-assessment-on-the-state-of-climate-change/ar-AAN6iw0

3. The Guardian fills in the picture of how the Sixth Assessment Report was generated. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/09/what-is-ipcc-why-new-climate-report-different

4. The thousand page Sixth Assessment Report was prepared by the largest scientific collaboration ever mounted, with hundreds of scientists from around the world cooperating through the internet. The 42-page Summary for Policy Makers represents the agreed consensus of every government on earth on what can be concluded from the larger report. Scientists get to veto any politically convenient but incorrect formulations. In the past that has often resulted in bland and soft statements. Not this time. The Sixth AR leaves governments and corporations no place to hide.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/09/what-is-ipcc-why-new-climate-report-different

5. The First Dog on the Moon summarizes the Report and our situation. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/09/it-should-not-come-as-a-surprise-that-climate-change-is-worse-than-we-thought-and-also-getting-worser