[GWSG] Emissions goals 1, 2, 3; a dangerous path; drying wells; meat subs; problem supports; CH4 controls back

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Mon May 3 08:04:50 EDT 2021

1. National emissions goals are set on different bases and include differing gasses. The article explains why and illustrates the implications. https://phys.org/news/2021-04-nations-climate-dont.html

2. The climate summit delivered some impressive national emissions targets. Still, more drastic cuts are required, of the US and others. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/22/climate/new-climate-pledge.html

3. The Guardian supplies another take on the national commitments with an eye to the goal of avoiding catastrophic global heating. So far, “There is not a single government that has the policies needed.” That ought not be too alarming, as the Paris Agreement envisions a series of tightening ratchets on emissions every five years.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/23/which-country-has-made-the-biggest-climate-commitment

4. The commitments and expressions of concern voiced at the climate summit answered my need for assurance that we know what to do and have decided to do it. Yet this is a trek we must make along a dangerous ridge. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/joe-biden-earth-day-climate-summit-emissions-goal-1160439/

5. Most of the water we use comes from ground wells. A new study finds that 20% of them will go dry in the near future. “They suggest that unless something changes, access to fresh water may soon become one of the privileges of the rich.”  https://phys.org/news/2021-04-environmental-scientists-global-groundwater-wells.html

6. They may be coming for your hamburgers after all. One think tank has predicted a collapse of the meat and dairy industry by 2030. The alternatives continue to improve. https://climatecrocks.com/2021/04/27/dont-be-cowed-meat-just-might-be-about-to-get-disrupted/
Nathan’s is introducing a vegan hot dog.  https://vegnews.com/2021/4/nathans-famous-vegan-hot-dog
Taco Bell is test marketing a vegan taco filling for their Cravetarian Taco. The filling may be substituted for the meat in any menu item. Trivial pleasures though such offerings may be, they should help ease the transition to a plant-based diet.  https://vegnews.com/2021/4/taco-bell-is-testing-vegan-meat

7. Merely providing alternatives will probably not produce a transition. In power production, transportation, and diet we will need to remove support for fossil fuels, internal combustion vehicles, and meat. https://phys.org/news/2021-04-alternative-meats-suppressing-reliance-grazing.html

8. In a major move, the US Senate has reinstated the Obama-era controls on methane emissions. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/climate-change-democrats-overturn-trump-methane-emissions-1162559/