[GWSG] Willing to wade; McKibben blog; fossil tactics; power emissions have peaked; Kerry's surprising claims

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sun May 16 08:39:31 EDT 2021

1. Batasan Island in the Philippines lost some of its elevation in an earthquake and is now losing the rest slowly to sea level rise. The government has offered to relocate the people but most have chosen to live with the flooding. Bart Welling sends the story and suggests that other coastal populations may choose extreme adaptation practices. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/22/world/asia/philippines-climate-change-batasan-tubigon.html

2. Bill McKibben sums up the case against the use of commercial gas, and goes on in his blog to address an array of other significant matters. https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/its-time-to-kick-gas

3. A study by Harvard faculty Naomi Oreskes and Geoffrey Supran of fifty years of internal and external fossil fuel company communications profiles the strategies they used and are using to avoid climate action. If we think of ourselves as consumers rather than citizens we will worry about our carbon footprint and be less likely to elect politicians prone to hamper the corporations. If we think in terms of the risks we are taking rather than the catastrophe actually in progress we are less likely to interfere with their planned emissions. https://grist.org/language/exxonmobil-climate-change-harvard-study/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=daily

4. BloombergNEF considers that power sector greenhouse gas emissions peaked in 2018 and will not recover. Renewables are the only growth area, and are getting most of the financing. https://climatecrocks.com/2021/05/13/more-evidence-fossil-fuels-have-peaked/

5. Climate Envoy John Kerry says that scientists tell him that half of our emissions cuts to get to net zero will come from technology not yet developed, and that research underway on the techniques of raising beef will cut emissions to the degree that it will not be necessary to give up the meat. (If it weren’t John Kerry speaking, those claims would earn head-shaking.) https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/16/half-of-emissions-cuts-will-come-from-future-tech-says-john-kerry