[GWSG] CCS blasted; denial habits; SLR doubles; and will again?; CH4 compact; Palau's boy; leaders at COP26; denial to delay

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Nov 2 11:08:12 EDT 2021

1. Australia’s Honest Government Ad series takes on carbon capture & storage in 4 packed (and enthusiastically profane) minutes. https://climatecrocks.com/2021/10/31/carbon-capture-captured-in-this-dead-on-parody/

2. You would think we would be attuned to problems which threaten to cause great disruptions. George Monbiot observes that instead we appear instead to try to drown out their signals. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/30/capitalism-is-killing-the-planet-its-time-to-stop-buying-into-our-own-destruction

3. The World Meteorological Organization reports that sea level rise doubled in the past decade to 4.4 mm/year. https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/state-of-climate-2021-extreme-events-and-major-impacts

4. I know of one reason to imagine that the pace of acceleration in SLR will slow in the remaining decades of this century. If it were remain at decadal doubling, the rise this decade would be 3.4”; in the 30s, 6.8”; in the 40s, 13.6”; in the 50s, 27”. The decadal rise will approach a meter toward the end of the 60s. According to studies by James Hansen and his colleagues, it has in the past slowed to remain at that rate, perhaps due to yet unknown feedbacks. But mine are amateur speculations on a slim knowledge base. For one thing, as Hansen has emphasized in his many studies of the issue, sea level rise has in the past been nonlinear. Here is a recent expert and clear-eyed assessment of the situation. https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/08/sea-level-in-the-ipcc-6th-assessment-report-ar6/

5. President Biden has led 90 countries in a pledge to cut methane emissions 30% this decade. Most of the US goal can be accomplished through presidential action, circumventing congressional opposition to dealing with the climate. “The detailed US proposals may prove to be one of the lasting successes of Cop26 in Glasgow where Biden will announce his action plan.”  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/02/joe-biden-plan-cut-global-methane-emissions-30-percent

6. The president of the Pacific island nation of Palau tells the COP26 world leaders a fable about a boy who consumed everything in sight until the community had to sacrifice him. https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2021/nov/02/cop26-you-might-as-well-bomb-us-says-president-of-palau-video

7. Many other national leaders expressed to COP26 their impatience with the general failure to react to the climate challenge. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/01/digging-our-own-graves-world-leaders-speak-cop26

8. Michael Mann observes that the primary goal of the fossil fuel industry is to delay action. The massive inertia of most US legislatures, state and national, is one result of their efforts. COP26 poses a vigorous counterforce. https://countryhighlights.com/opinion/op-ed-on-the-climate-crisis-delay-has-become-the-new-form-of-denial/