[GWSG] Future visions; stronger pledge?; misinfo up; CO2 flat; <2C pledged; Manchin failing?; 10 happy thoughts

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Nov 4 09:24:14 EDT 2021

1. Mila-Quebec Artificial Intelligence Institute has used AI to create images of familiar sites rendered unfamiliar by sea level rise and other effects of climate disruption. You may enter an address and see how it goes. (I had no luck with US addresses. I assume that is coming. Try Quebec and places in the UK)  https://mila.quebec/en/ai-society/visualizing-climate-change/

2. A pledge by about 100 nations to cut methane emissions 30% by 2030 is a major step and worth celebrating, but it could be higher without great strain and take us closer to the 1.5C target. The pact also needs to include China, Russia, India, and Australia. https://phys.org/news/2021-11-slashing-methane-emissions-key-earth.html

3. Misinformation about climate is increasing “substantially” on Facebook. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/nov/04/climate-misinformation-on-facebook-increasing-substantially-study-says

4. When land use change is included, as it should be, global CO2 emissions have been flat for a decade, according to a new study. Uncertainties remain, but it seems that land use changes have offset the growth in fossil fuel emissions. That may not continue, and we need to carry through on our plans to switch to renewable sources of power The Global Carbon Project study has yet to undergo peer review. https://www.carbonbrief.org/global-co2-emissions-have-been-flat-for-a-decade-new-data-reveals?utm_campaign=Carbon%20Brief%20Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20211104&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20Daily

5. The pledges made at COP26 so far would have a better than even chance to keep heating below 2C. 1.5C is still within reach. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/03/cop26-emission-pledges-could-limit-global-heating-to-below-2c-india

6. The Intercept: “Joe Manchin May Not Have Destroyed the World Yet After All. But now a lot will need to go exactly according to plan, an influential climate model suggests. “ https://theintercept.com/2021/10/31/joe-manchin-climate-crisis/

7. The Rolling Stone suggests ten reasons for optimism on climate chances (but first supplies some of the bleaker perspectives). https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/climate-change-optimism-glasgow-cop26-1252377/