[GWSG] AR6 section 3; a leisurely summary; an epitomy; why all the CCS; Gutteres urges transition; free EV charging

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:09:32 EDT 2022

1. The mitigation section of the IPCC’s Sixth Assessment Report is on the Working Group III tab. https://act.sierraclub.org/events/details

2. Carbon Brief provides an in-depth summary of the mitigation report’s conclusions and main findings organized around 17 questions. Skimming Carbon Brief’s summary is as close as I will come to reading the report, which runs almost 3000 pages. If you would like a demonstration of how handy the summary is, try the text on number 6 of the 17 questions: What impact can the food system and dietary choices have on emissions? Links take you back and forth from the list of questions to the discussions.  https://www.carbonbrief.org/in-depth-qa-the-ipccs-sixth-assessment-on-how-to-tackle-climate-change?utm_campaign=Marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

3. The Guardian succinctly epitomizes the IPCC’s report. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/04/final-warning-what-does-the-ipcc-third-report-instalment-say

4. The emphasis in the IPCC mitigation report on capturing carbon from fossil fuels came mostly from Saudi Arabia. CCS from the exhaust stream of fossil fuel plants has proved a failure both financially and technically. The EU protested Saudi Arabia’s dilution of the report, but the US was silent. (We need to develop kelp permaculture and biochar lobbies—but of course no one is making a bundle on those CCS technologies, so their voices are hard to hear.) https://www.climatechangenews.com/2022/04/04/saudi-arabia-dilutes-fossil-fuel-phase-out-language-with-techno-fixes-in-ipcc-report/?utm_campaign=Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20220405&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

5. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres urges that we triple the rate of conversion to renewable energy. In particular, we must cease funding all phases of the extraction and use of coal.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/04/new-ipcc-climate-report-on-averting-catastrophe/?utm_campaign=Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20220405&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

6.  The Lompoc Valley, CA, Medical Center is providing a set of EV charging stations with their own solar power and battery. Anyone with a ChargePoint account may use it at any time for free. I list this not because I expect any of us to drop by but to encourage romantic expectations of the energy transition now in progress. 30 second video.  https://climatecrocks.com/2022/04/05/solar-powered-charging-stations-one-option-for-evs/