[GWSG] AR6 fudge; resource economy; Kalmus unchained; Germany's targets; changing diets; rising CH4; scientists on AR6; AMOC more stable?

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Fri Apr 8 09:05:45 EDT 2022

1. The IPCC mitigation report was influenced by the fossil fuel industry, particularly the summary for policy makers, the most frequently read and heavily quoted section. Observations about the ways the industry is impeding climate action remain in the rest of the report, as do counters to a range of industry talking points. I gather that the reliability of the report’s information is not in question. The industry succeeded in softening some of the conclusions.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/05/ipcc-report-scientists-climate-crisis-fossil-fuels

2. The US and the EU are responsible for over half of the world’s overuse of natural resources. A sustainable culture will require policies to end planned obsolescence, and regulations to promote reuse and repair, to expand public transportation, and to reduce inequality. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/06/us-europe-behind-vast-majority-global-ecological-damage-study

3. Peter Kalmus, who as a member of Scientist Rebellion locked himself to the entrance of the JP Morgan Chase building in Los Angeles and was arrested: “Earth breakdown is much worse than most people realize. The science indicates that as fossil fuels continue to heat our planet, everything we love is at risk.” https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/06/climate-scientists-are-desperate-were-crying-begging-and-getting-arrested

4. Germany’s ambitious new energy plan sets targets of at least 80% renewable energy by 2030, and nearly 100% by 2035. Germany produced 41% of its energy renewably in 2020. https://www.dw.com/en/germany-presents-new-ukraine-accelerated-renewables-plan/a-61383714

5. A Yale study finds that 63% of Americans are trying to eat less red meat. (That includes 55% of Republicans.) The Motivated are a third of the population, the Health Conscious 42%, and the Uninterested 22%. Asked what might influence them to larger changes, people responded with suggestions to make the plant-based food sound more attractive, to offer more choices in stores and restaurants, to provide better-tasting choices, and to emphasize how healthy and economical a plant-based diet is. https://mailchi.mp/yale/register-now-communicating-the-financial-risk-of-climate-change-2622593?e=4dee1d8b35

6. Atmospheric methane increased by a record amount last year. Business as usual would be ruinous. We could control the fossil fuel industry and most agricultural sources.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/04/07/methane-emissions-jumped-by-record-2021-noaa-says/?utm_campaign=Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20220408&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

7. Key scientists provide short accounts of what they consider the most significant insights of the third part of AR6. https://www.carbonbrief.org/scientists-react-what-are-the-key-new-insights-from-the-ipccs-wg3-report?utm_campaign=Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20220408&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter

8. Fresh water from Arctic glacial melt may drive an abruptly reduced flow of the AMOC. A study of the muted response to newly fresh water 6-11,000 years ago, supported by revised modeling, indicates that we may not be as near to a tipping point as we currently estimate.  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-022-01328-2?utm_campaign=Daily%20Briefing&utm_content=20220408&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue%20newsletter