[GWSG] IRA analyzed; IRA, Chips, & infrastructure; heated pathogens; EAIS stability; ice loss; EV rules; a degrown future

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Aug 11 08:38:36 EDT 2022

1. Dana Nuccitelli pulls together three analyses of energy reduction prospects in his comprehensive survey of the Inflation Reduction Act for Yale Climate Connections. https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/08/experts-senate-passed-bill-will-yield-myriad-climate-benefits/

2. The CHIPs bill will support technology to lower emissions in the 2030s and beyond. It and the Inflation Reduction Act combined will put about half a trillion dollars at work this decade developing zero-carbon energy and preparing for climate disruption. The infrastructure bill is the third part of a new industrial strategy meant to support adequate climate action.    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/08/chips-act-climate-bill-biden/671095/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly-planet&utm_content=20220810&utm_term=The%20Weekly%20Planet

3. “ More than half of known human pathogenic diseases such as dengue, hepatitis, pneumonia, malaria, Zika and more, can be aggravated by climate change.” (You may have to read the article to find out what pathogenic diseases are. There are 375 of them.) https://phys.org/news/2022-08-human-pathogenic-diseases-aggravated-climate.html

4. A study of the stability of the vast East Antarctic ice sheet indicates that as long as we limit heating to below 2C, its contribution to sea level rise over the next couple of centuries should remain relatively modest, but shocking if we exceed that mark. “Sea levels would rise by 52 meters if it all melted. It was thought to be stable, but is now showing signs of vulnerability, the scientists said.” The EAIS, which holds most of the world’s glacial ice, is more sensitive to small changes in average temperature than we had supposed.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/10/east-antarctic-ice-sheet-in-our-hands-climate-action

5.  Recent ice loss from the Antarctic has been twice as great as we had thought, according to two new studies. (I don’t know how the news will influence the findings of the previous item.) https://phys.org/news/2022-08-previously-unknown-loss-antarctic-ice.html

6. The new rules on the subsidy for electric cars are a bit complicated. This article lists who will be in and who out. https://cleantechnica.com/2022/08/10/understanding-the-new-federal-tax-credit-for-electric-cars-its-complicated/

7. Our level of consumption cannot be sustained. We have known for some time that a policy of degrowth lies ahead of us. It will mean not only different consumer attitudes, but different financing and business models as well. https://cleantechnica.com/2022/08/10/revisiting-degrowth-for-sustainability-its-necessary-but-challenges-traditional-economics/