[GWSG] CA's wind; racing the earth; less energy; 60 years of lies; beyond net-zero; C in the grass

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sat Aug 13 10:07:59 EDT 2022

1. CA has set the highest targets for offshore wind power of any state—3-5,000 megawatts by 2030 and 25 gigawatts by 2045, enough to power 25 million homes. CA has 14.5 m homes. Of course, many of those will have EVs in the garage soon, and then there are industrial uses for the power. https://electrek.co/2022/08/10/california-offshore-floating-wind-goal/

2.  As the US (and many other nations) begin new and serious climate action, the earth’s climate is increasingly disrupted. The Arctic, in particular, is heating much faster than expected. Our response must also be more robust.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/08/11/climate-changes-impact-intensifies-us-is-poised-pass-major-bill/

3. Electric vehicles are much more efficient than gas burners. The article will tell you how much more. Electrifying the transportation system will mean that much less energy will be needed for it. https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/08/electrifying-transportation-reduces-emissions-and-saves-massive-amounts-of-energy/

4. Al Gore, Naomi Oreskes, Sen. Brian Schatz, and others look back on 60 years of lies and frustrated initiatives as they celebrate the strongest action yet on climate. Gore: “A lot of the hard work lies ahead.”  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/12/the-us-spent-six-decades-losing-the-climate-war-it-has-finally-gained-significant-ground

5. Our mitigation plans so far focus on reaching net-zero emissions. We need to plan for negative emissions by modelling the effects. We know little about the happy prospects of a return to lower global temperatures. https://phys.org/news/2022-08-net-zero-cool-planet-pre-industrial.html

6. Grasslands can store significant quantities of carbon, both in organic and mineral form (the more stable). A new Chinese-US review analysis finds that the proportions and amounts of each depend on the type of grassland and how it is managed. https://phys.org/news/2022-08-fresh-grasslands-carbon.html