[GWSG] Cli lies; fact check; GOP inaction plan; new wetlands; EU ends ICE cars by 2035; .5m charging stations

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Jun 9 12:07:55 EDT 2022

1. Climate disinformation no longer deals much with the causes or effects of the climate disruption. Instead it attacks straw men (the “elites” and hypocrites who want to force action on us), the alleged impossibility of action (China in particular will never act, so we are absolved of responsibility), and the alleged unreliability of renewables (renewables are expensive and depend on vagaries of sunshine and wind). The many thousands of tweets and Facebook posts on these themes are coming from a fairly small group of people. The spokespeople often have some sort of scientific background to authenticate them, and some have been previously associated with green groups.  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jun/09/climate-policy-dragged-into-culture-wars-as-a-delay-tactic-finds-study

2. USA Today fact-checks some of the recent posts on social media. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/06/07/fact-check-wind-turbines-quickly-recoup-energy-used-make-them/9542766002/
The standard place to look up canards is Skeptical Science. https://skepticalscience.com/ For more recent lies, though, you and Google are often on your own, and I am glad to see USA Today getting into the game. I have promised not to deal with propaganda here—not usually anyway, and I plan to stick with that. I will try to direct attention to changes in tactics, though, as with the Guardian article above.

3. In the face of mounting climate disasters, US House Republicans are offering the appearance of climate action. Better is promised. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/08/climate-change-deniers-republican-catastrophe/

4. As sea level rises, old wetlands drown and need to move inland. Development can impede that. A net loss of wetlands would cost a lot of money, erode biosystems, and impair storm protection. We need new legal provisions to secure private property and prepare it to become a wetland. https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-coastal-wetlands-need-room-to-move-report-says/LAPDNU2JWFAX3LSVZQXV7LYHCY/

5. The EU parliament has voted to end the sale of gas and diesel cars by 2035. Other provisions of the European green deal are in negotiation. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/08/meps-reject-key-eu-climate-proposal-watered-down-european-emissions-trading-system

 6. The Biden administration has announced a plan to build 500,000 electric vehicle charging stations by 2030. They will be capable of charging all brands of EV and access any charging company. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/09/biden-announces-standards-for-electric-vehicle-charging-stations.html