[GWSG] SEC wants climate reports; con game; forest lessons; Li from CA; where will be safest?; the road to 1.5C

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Mar 22 10:19:52 EDT 2022

1. The Securities and Exchange Commission proposes to require publicly traded companies to report their greenhouse gas emissions and the climate risks they face. https://cleantechnica.com/2022/03/20/finally-publicly-traded-us-companies-will-have-to-report-ghg-emissions/

2. The SEC’s plan will find opposition. A risk analysis is the first step toward a climate action plan. Publication of the emissions and climate risks of corporations would be a large step toward climate planning on a national scale. Many who are profiting from the fossil fueled economy would rather we not plan. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/21/sec-greenhouse-gas-emissions-carbon-proposal
This same dynamic plays out on a smaller scale in my hometown of Jacksonville and my home state of FL, where for decades authorities have resisted investigating our emissions and our risks. For the most part we are left with a sense of things going wrong as the heat mounts and waters rise. Many of us blame strangers and others portrayed as having evil designs on us, so we keep electing the people we do.

3. Our discovery of community in the forests mirrors our search for a better way to live. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/mar/21/the-big-idea-can-forests-teach-us-to-live-better-trees-model-suzanne-simard

4. The Salton Sea, two hours from San Diego, has been poisoned by agricultural runoff and the surrounding communities have gone into decline. They are more cheerful now because work is under way to mine the lithium which lies beneath the sea. Geothermal energy from beneath the sea will power the mining, which would more than satisfy the current world demand for the light metal used in batteries. https://climatecrocks.com/2022/03/21/green-lithium-and-clean-energy-at-the-salton-sea/

5. In a 9 ½ minute video, PBS asks: What is the safest place to live as the climate changes? They end with interviews in the safest county in the US. (We’re not all going to fit.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcj9IGY6Etg

6. Kevin Anderson describes what we must do to limit heating to 1.5C. We have “a longstanding failure to face and understand the problem.”  https://phys.org/news/2022-03-reality-path-15c-world.html