[GWSG] Leaving the Keys; 3m displaced; Bittle's book; 15 minute city; IEA chastises gas people; climate in the MBA; 1,000 mile battery

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Feb 23 09:46:03 EST 2023

1. The retreat from the increasingly unlivable FL Keys has been chaotic. Local, state, and federal authorities have offered little support or leadership. It is not an encouraging start for the state’s costal population, many if not most of whom will be faced with relocation in the near future.  https://climatecrocks.com/2023/02/21/wastin-away-florida-keys-great-displacement-begins/

2. Last year, 3 million people in the US were displaced by climate disasters. The climate migration is underway; the FL Keys is only one scene. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/23/us-climate-crisis-housing-migration-natural-disasters

3. Jake Bittle, author of item 2 above, has just published The Great Displacement: Climate change and the Next American Migration (Simon & Schuster). I have not read it, but I just bought it. https://www.amazon.com/Great-Displacement-Climate-American-Migration-ebook/dp/B09JPKL2DL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=CX5UCDSCVBZ6&keywords=the+great+displacement&qid=1677159617&s=books&sprefix=the+great+displacement%2Cstripbooks%2C148&sr=1-1

4. In a 15 minute city, we would live close (within 15 minutes) to where we play and work. (If sea level rise is having millions of us move to cities which don’t now exist, why shouldn’t they be ones without cars? Diverse, sustainable communities?) https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/22/are-15-minute-cities-a-good-idea-or-the-work-of-un-greenist-devils

5. The International Energy Agency’s analysis of emissions shows that the methane industry could easily make deep cuts in their contributions to the climate crisis. https://www.iea.org/news/methane-emissions-remained-stubbornly-high-in-2022-even-as-soaring-energy-prices-made-actions-to-reduce-them-cheaper-than-ever

6. Climate has finally made it into business schools, and not just as a profit opportunity. https://www.greenbiz.com/article/climate-change-has-finally-arrived-business-school

7. A new lithium-air battery with a solid electrolyte uses ambient oxygen to achieve as much as four times the energy density of current Li-ion batteries, and it is safer. It could extend the range of an EV to 1,000 miles. The new battery design is appropriate also for air and heavy commercial travel. https://cleantechnica.com/2023/02/23/new-design-for-lithium-air-battery-could-offer-much-longer-driving-range/