[GWSG] Ant. ice data; stuck weather patterns; "damned fools"; Parrot & Igloo; Mann & Hassol look around; D-Day for fossil fuels

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Jul 20 10:41:34 EDT 2023

1. For the first time, 60 years of data on the Antarctic ice sheets has been made openly and freely available. It is a major step to solid projections of sea level rise from melting Antarctic ice.  https://phys.org/news/2023-07-years-antarctic-ice-sheet.html

2. Heating polar regions and loss of snow cover in North America has led to the lazy jet streams responsible for heat domes and other stuck weather patterns. The patterns are expected to persist.  https://phys.org/news/2023-07-links-climate-lazier-jet-stream.html

3. James Hansen warns that as disruptive as the heat is now, it is getting worse. We are heading for the superheated world of a million years ago. “We are damned fools” not to have taken action when we were warned a generation ago and steadily warned afresh since. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/19/climate-crisis-james-hansen-scientist-warning

4. The Parrot and the Igloo: Climate and the Science of Denial by David Lipsky is a lively pleasure to read. His topic is the history of climate science, beginning with the development of electricity and leading to the energetic industry of climate denial. I was continually surprised by what I didn’t know about this familiar terrain. https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Igloo-Climate-Science-Denial-ebook/dp/B098YKD7MR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=4KKXPLGF8CYJ&keywords=the+parrot+and+the+igloo&qid=1689855702&s=books&sprefix=the+parrot+and+the+igloo%2Cstripbooks%2C118&sr=1-1

5. Michael Mann and Susan Joy Hassol survey the state of the climate and urge us to reflect that if we act to control emissions we will see positive results; if we do not, we will see the results of that too. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/19/heatwave-climate-omen-change-course-weather-models

6. The fossil fuel companies have had their chance to keep their own energy transition commitments (they did not) and to use their enormous financial and political power for something besides short-term gain. Now, says Christiana Figueres, it is D-Day for the fossil fuel companies. https://cleantechnica.com/2023/07/18/christiana-figueres-says-now-is-d-day-for-fossil-fuels/