[GWSG] -C in Bhutan; farming solar; problems of the rich; ph & fish noses; costs of acid; food supply

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Wed Jul 25 07:13:04 EDT 2018

1. Bhutan is the only country so far which is carbon negative (thanks to its forests). It is also the only country to measure its success not by its GDP but by its happiness index. Ed Carter suggested the topic. https://www.ecowatch.com/this-country-isnt-just-carbon-neutral-its-carbon-negative-1882195367.html

2. A German experiment in placing solar cells over agricultural lands showed that the land produced 60% more value than when it is used for either crops or power alone. Chile is experimenting to see which crops can best benefit from the partial shade a solar array provides. A Michigan farmer finds that solar production on his farm supports his enterprise and his ethics. https://climatecrocks.com/2018/07/23/study-mating-solar-energy-with-farming-makes-ense/

3. Some of the very rich seem more preoccupied with surviving an environmental apocalypse than with averting it. As an example of their preoccupations, they will need security forces to protect their food hoard from the rest of us. How are they going to avoid falling victim to their own guards? Robots, maybe? https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/23/tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity

4. Oceanic CO2 has risen 43% since the industrial revolution. The increasing acidity from carbonic acid is impairing the sense of smell in fish, leading to difficulty in finding food and safe places even as they become less able to detect predators. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180723142842.htm

5.  The annual cost of ocean acidification is projected to reach over $300b per year. https://phys.org/news/2018-07-ocean-acidification-science.html

6. Current food production would be adequate to feed our 2050 population if we replace most of our consumption of meat and dairy with vegetarian alternatives. There is little room for biofuels. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180723143040.htm   ?