[GWSG] Rugged corals; Bonn, cont.; CO2 from forests; environmental courts; ARPA-E DAYS; renewable jobs

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Sun May 13 08:08:48 EDT 2018

1. Some coral reefs are able to grow rapidly enough to keep up with moderate climate change. https://phys.org/news/2018-05-coral-reefs-sea-level.html

2. The Bonn UN talks have completed with central issues unresolved and are headed for an extra week in Bangkok to prepare a statement for the meeting in Poland in December.  https://mailchi.mp/climatenewsnetwork/bonn-climate-talks-make-gradual-progress?e=ea792e87f2

3. In 2014-16 human CO2 emissions were level but the growth of CO2 in the atmosphere doubled. Blame the tropical forests, which grew less and burned more in a pattern which threatens to become common. https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2018/05/cracking-a-climate-conundrum/?popupally_stop=subscriber

4. Specialized environmental courts are now operating in 44 countries. They generally enforce laws protecting the environment, which often also protect human rights. https://ensia.com/features/environment-finally-getting-day-court/

5. Advanced Research Energy Projects-Energy, ARPA-E, has initiated DAYS, a program of $30 million of support to develop grid energy storage in the 10-100 hour range. Natural gas peaking plants are currently used to provide demand response, but we must move beyond that. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/12/why-we-dont-need-to-wait-for-long-duration-energy-storage/

6. Employment in renewable energy has topped ten million globally. https://www.nasdaq.com/article/renewable-energy-jobs-top-10-million-globally-cm961422 ?