[GWSG] Drought approach; comprehensive mandate; dimmer and hotter; Regeneration; systematic planning

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Tue Oct 5 09:04:34 EDT 2021

1. Droughts in East Africa are increasingly predictable. We need to shift from crisis management to risk management. (It strikes me that the shift would be a good idea in climate adaptation generally.) https://phys.org/news/2021-10-scientists-alarm-drought-east-africa.html

2. To limit heating to 1.5C, we need to change in many ways, from how we create and use energy to our eating habits, all at once, right away, according to Anne Olhoff, author of the annual UN report on emissions tracking. The story in its account of the needed changes would serve as a guide to tracking progress at COP26.   https://phys.org/news/2021-10-15c-climate-goal.html

3. We used to hope that as the earth heated it would produce more clouds, reflecting more heat in a negative feedback which would moderate the pace of heating. The opposite has turned out to be true. Diminution of low clouds in the eastern Pacific have allowed more heat to reach the earth, contributing significantly to heating in a  positive feedback. The heat increase seems to be roughly equivalent to what humans have produced during the past two decades.  https://news.agu.org/press-release/earth-is-dimming-due-to-climate-change/
The article is linked at the bottom of the story.

4. Paul Hawken, author of Drawdown (which records a cooperative analysis of ways to capture and sequest3er carbon), has published Regeneration on approaches to shaping our lives to the realities of planetary resources. How to live sustainably and well is a great challenge. Hawken’s solutions center around connection and reciprocity. https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/disconnection-caused-climate-crisis-reconnection-will-solve-it?suppress=true&utm_source=greenlife&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

5. Planning for risks in the interconnected fields of natural and human systems is poorly served by a “targets of opportunity” approach. We can (and do) spend our resources pointlessly on lost causes or trivial projects. Multi-sector dynamics attempts to pull together analysis of stressors to reveal effective coping measures. MIT’s Socio-Environmental Triage platform pulls together and analyzes “present-day risks related to water, land, climate, the economy, energy, demographics, health, and infrastructure, and where these compound to create risk hot spots.” The program should enable local, regional, and national planners to approach what would otherwise be overwhelmingly complex challenges. https://phys.org/news/2021-10-triage-platform-compounding-threats-infrastructure.html