[GWSG] Who's fibbing; rice likes critters; salty rice; sound food chains; EU energy plan; FL's non-plan

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:13:23 EST 2022

1. The IPCC’s AR6 finally mentioned disinformation as a problem, but did not mention a main source: the fossil fuel industry. For over 30 years, fossil fuel representatives have acted as reviewers and even as lead authors of IPCC reports. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/07/climate-solutions-big-oil-ipcc-report

2. When fish, crabs, and turtles are invited to live in rice paddies, they eat the weeds, and their poop fertilizes the rice. Yields go up 12%. https://www.anthropocenemagazine.org/2022/03/modern-study-of-the-ancient-practice-of-mixing-rice-and-fish-farming-uncovers-striking-trends/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=modern-study-of-the-ancient-practice-of-mixing-rice-and-fish-farming-uncovers-striking-trends

3. Our coastal areas are due to sport vast new wetlands. If we clean them to go under gracefully, rice paddies could be in our future. A range of crops have shown tolerance of salt water, including new varieties of rice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_tolerance_to_seawater#:~:text=the%20Pacific%20Ocean.-,Rice,to%209.3%20tons%20per%20hectare.

4. An Australian study warns that the disruptions in the food supply chain posed by the climate crisis call for redundancy in the chain to prevent interruption of food availability. Shorter chains would help, too.  https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/mar/09/farmers-report-warns-climate-crisis-puts-australias-food-supply-at-increasing-risk

5. The European Union’s energy plan in light of Russian aggression in Ukraine intends to achieve independence from Russian fossils fuels “well before 2030, starting with gas,” and to jump start the energy transition.  “It is time we tackle our vulnerabilities and rapidly become more independent in our energy choices. Let's dash into renewable energy at lightning speed. Renewables are a cheap, clean, and potentially endless source of energy and instead of funding the fossil fuel industry elsewhere, they create jobs here. Putin's war in Ukraine demonstrates the urgency of accelerating our clean energy transition.” https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_1511

6. The Florida legislature is providing money for adaptation to sea level rise even while it continues to obstruct any attempt to deal with carbon emissions by, say, promoting renewable energy—what Gov. Ron DeSantis calls “left-wing stuff.”  https://phys.org/news/2022-03-job-incomplete-florida-statewide-climate.html