[GWSG] C in the system; forests & health; permafrosted peat; temp graphics; transp. transition; degassing the EU

Tilley, Al atilley at unf.edu
Thu Mar 17 11:03:27 EDT 2022

1. Austria’s International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis has developed a novel way of analyzing the earth’s processing of carbon in the climate crisis. The system of atmosphere, land, and sea is said to have a memory—its ability to respond to change within usual limits—acting within capacities of delay and persistence. The IIASA’s Exploratory Modeling of Human-Natural Systems Research Group’s work implies that the earth is quite close to the limits of its ability to handle the excess carbon we have been loading into it. https://phys.org/news/2022-03-counteract-global-climate.html

2. The World Wildlife Fund has released The Vitality of Forests, a study of the links between human health and the state of forests. "We found that public health and forests are entwined—at the local, regional and global level—and that across each of nature's contributions to human health, forest conservation, protection and management can improve our lives."  https://phys.org/news/2022-03-strong-scientific-link-forests-human.html

3. Permafrost peatlands in Europe and Western Siberia hold twice the carbon of all European forests combined. By 2040 they are expected to begin melting, sooner than expected. Strong action to control emissions could still reduce the risk.  https://phys.org/news/2022-03-permafrost-peatlands-approaching.html

4.  NASA has a new animated graphic representing the change in average global temperatures year by year and month by month from 1880-2021. Toward the bottom of the page is a link to another visualization which maps global temperature anomalies for the same period.  https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4975

5. A study of decarbonization of energy for transportation in the UK applies for the most part to the US. Hydrogen as a fuel and biofuels are only an impediment. We will need more power, produced renewably, to support the electrification of transportation (and for energy needs generally, including those of the built environment and manufacturing). https://www.transportenvironment.org/discover/fuelling-the-future-motive-power-and-connectivity/

6. The reaction to the Russian invasion of Ukraine is changing energy planning in the EU. They now plan to triple renewable energy capacity by 2030. Consumption of commercial gas—and not just from Russia—is a target. “Indeed, energy efficiency and demand management are now top priorities. . ..”  https://e360.yale.edu/features/will-russias-war-spur-europe-to-move-on-green-energy